The Global NCAP launched the ‘Safer Choice’ Award challenge at the Delhi Auto Expo in 2018. The Mahindra XUV300 has achieved Global NCAP’s first ever ‘Safer Choice’ Award, an accolade only available to automakers achieving the highest levels of safety performance or cars sold in India.
Last month the Mahindra XUV300 has achieved a five star Global NCAP rating for adult occupant protection and four stars for child occupant protection. It was the highest combined occupant safety rating of any car tested in Global NCAP’s #SaferCarsForIndia campaign to date.
Mahindra have since submitted the XUV300 for further Global NCAP conformity tests, with the model meeting both pedestrian protection and Electronic Stability Control (ESC) ‘Safer Choice’ Award requirements.
To qualify for the ‘Safe Choice’ award a car model must meet all of the following requirements:
- The model must achieve a 5-star score for Adult Occupant Protection in accordance with the latest version of the Global NCAP New Market Test protocol.
- The model must achieve at least a 4-star result in Child Occupant Protection in accordance with latest version of the Global NCAP New Market Test protocol.
- The model must offer Electronic Stability Control (ESC) and meet performance requirements according to United Nations Regulations UN13H, UN140 or GTR9. Where optional, ESC must be available on all the model variants, sold separately without any ‘bundling’ with other features, and as from 2 years onwards must be a standard fit to at least 20% of the sales volume in the country.
- The model must meet Pedestrian Protection requirements according to United Nations Regulations UN127 or GTR9. which must be validated on market units at a Global NCAP designated testing laboratory.
- Conformity with all of these requirements must be validated at a Global NCAP designated laboratory and by the provision of type approval certificates where applicable.